Wednesday, May 13, 2015

5 Most Popular Commencement Speeches

Read some of the most interesting and popular commencement speeches of all time.

George Saunders at the Graduation Ceremony 2013 in Syracuse University
"Be kind."
"What I regret most in my life are failures of kindness," Saunders said. "Those moments when another human being was there, in front of me, suffering, and I responded ... sensibly. Reservedly. Mildly."
Do those things that incline you toward the big questions, and avoid the things that would reduce you and make you trivial. That luminous part of you that exists beyond personality -- your soul, if you will -- is as bright and shining as any that has ever been.

 President Barack Obama, Morehouse Graduation Ceremony 2013
"My whole life, I've tried to be for Michelle and my girls what my father was not for my mother and me."
"Sometimes I wrote off my own failings as just another example of the world trying to keep a black man down"
"I had a tendency sometimes to make excuses for me not doing the right thing. But one of the things that all of you have learned over the last four years is there's no longer any room for excuses"

  Neil Gaiman, University of the Arts 2012
"When things get tough, this is what you should do. Make good art."
“A freelance life, a life in the arts, is sometimes like putting message in bottles, on a desert island, and hoping that someone will find one of your bottles and open it and read it, and put something in a bottle that will wash its way back to you: appreciation, or a commission, or money, or love."

"People keep working, in a freelance world ... because their work is good, and because they are easy to get along with, and because they deliver the work on time. And you don't even need all three. Two out of three is fine"

Here is an example of a funny commencement address:



No comments:

Post a Comment